Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Life Choices

So I've just watched some of my favorite shows with the great technology of DVR (how did we live with out it) and I'm determined to turn over a new leaf. (Whatever that means). I have a new goal.

The first show was the Biggest Loser. I'm so inspired be these people who want to change their lives and be healthier. I do agree with Bob and Jillian that the red team is playing the game. I've learned so much on cooking better meals and so on anyway... that wasn't the big AH-Hah

Then when I should of turned the TV off and went to bed, I started a Oprah Show from the 18th. IT was about cell phone use and texting while driving. The statistics show that a person who is driving drunk and someone who is talking on their cell phone are both 4 times likelier to have a accident. Someone who is texting is 8 times more likely to have a accident. Oprah kept saying the most dangerous thing we do everyday is the get in our cars and drive somewhere. So to add talking on the phone or texting we are putting our selves at a greater risk. THen I started thinking about my kids and all the kids in my neighborhood and all my neices and nephews other family members. How would I feel if someone killed one of them while driving impared? And most importantly How would I feel if I had caused the death of someone else?

One of Oprah's guests was a boy about 22 years old from Cache Valley who when he was 19 had been texting and driving caused a car accident and two men died, both leaving families. SHe asked him what is was like for him. He told how he couldn't sleep at night, how he thinks about it everytime he sees a accident and he know he can't go back and change his poor choice now.

It was because of that accident that Utah has the strictest laws against cell phone ussage while driving. I did know you are not to text. And I didn't know we are to only talk hands free while driving.

So I've decided to make a life choice and stop talking on my cell while I drive. And if anyone sees me talking while I'm driving, shake your finger at me. Tease me when you talk to me. I just don't want to be the cause of anyone's death especially my own children who are the most precious things I have.

So I love you all and I'm off my soap box now but if you want to watch a gut wrenching show it was aired on 1-18-10.

5 comments:

jessica said...

Hey Amelia...I watched that Oprah too and it had a huge effect on me as well. I'm not a texter and of course not while driving, but I was a talker. But I realized it's just NOT WORTH IT! Our kids (and everyone else out there) are way too important to risk it. Anyway I posted something in my status about it on facebook and hardly anyone replied or agreed. Like Oprah kept saying they all think that "they've got it under control...they can do it." Yeah right! Anyway thanks for posting this on your blog! Sounds like you're doing well-
jessica

Tallie Geddes said...

Well, maybe it's good I don't have a cell phone! Great goals - it was fun to chat yesterday!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great reminder. I think sometimes we all feel invincible, huh! But we aren't and need to live more like that!

Mark and Adrian said...

How did we use to drive when there was no such things as phones. It seems like we can't live without them. Thanks for the reminder. I also agree and pledge not to drive while on the phone. I love my kids too much to put them in danger while I order a pizza or something else stupid.

Miss you!!

Krysta said...

I'm glad you posted this. Other people have talked about "that Oprah show" and I didn't know what it was about. I'm a talker too, but I will promise to do better. It really is important. I should spend my time in the car being with my kids, instead of ignoring them and talking on the phone. :)